Its the morning of Hari Raya Aidilfitri and I feel that this year, the feeling is distinct in the sense that it differs from the past years.
The day started off as usual with me going to the mosque for the Aidilfitri prayers but as I sat down in the hall reciting the festive prayers, many thoughts played in my head. Firstly, I realised that this would mark the first time that I won't be having my grandfather visit my house right after the prayers. This used to be a routine that I looked forward to every morning of Hari Raya. The feeling is just different.
Secondly, while the sounds of the prayers resonated through the halls of the mosque, I felt the power and significance of the celebration of what is known as 'the day of victory for Muslims'. The feeling was sublime as I realised that I represent only a sole individual in the sea of Muslims worldwide who are similarly reciting their Aidilfitri prayers. This really had a humbling effect.
Thirdly, I can't help but feel that despite all the social barriers that we see in Singapore, Islam transcends it. It is common to pass by the strangers in the street without even a semblance of acknowledgment but yet after the prayers, I noticed that we were greeting and giving our 'salaam' to each other with such sincerity that it was as if we had knew each other for a long time. This is in line with the Islamic belief that all Muslims are fellow brothers and sisters.
As I was preparing to leave the mosque, I saw this guy who I have noticed for a very long time as he lives in my estate. I think he is mentally-challenged but he is a pious guy who goes to the mosque every day to perform his prayers. What struck me just now was that he was enthusiastically hugging this guy while patting his back. They both had huge grins on their faces. While that may sound rather ordinary, it was the feeling of the extent of love among two fellow Muslims that impacted me very strongly. I wanted to take a picture of them but upon hindsight, I think some moments are best left in one's heart and memory.
Here's to a brand new Hari Raya Aidilfitri, a day of victory and celebration in light of a completed month of spiritual cleansing. Maaf zahir dan batin to all my Muslim and non-Muslim friends alike.
The day started off as usual with me going to the mosque for the Aidilfitri prayers but as I sat down in the hall reciting the festive prayers, many thoughts played in my head. Firstly, I realised that this would mark the first time that I won't be having my grandfather visit my house right after the prayers. This used to be a routine that I looked forward to every morning of Hari Raya. The feeling is just different.
Secondly, while the sounds of the prayers resonated through the halls of the mosque, I felt the power and significance of the celebration of what is known as 'the day of victory for Muslims'. The feeling was sublime as I realised that I represent only a sole individual in the sea of Muslims worldwide who are similarly reciting their Aidilfitri prayers. This really had a humbling effect.
Thirdly, I can't help but feel that despite all the social barriers that we see in Singapore, Islam transcends it. It is common to pass by the strangers in the street without even a semblance of acknowledgment but yet after the prayers, I noticed that we were greeting and giving our 'salaam' to each other with such sincerity that it was as if we had knew each other for a long time. This is in line with the Islamic belief that all Muslims are fellow brothers and sisters.
As I was preparing to leave the mosque, I saw this guy who I have noticed for a very long time as he lives in my estate. I think he is mentally-challenged but he is a pious guy who goes to the mosque every day to perform his prayers. What struck me just now was that he was enthusiastically hugging this guy while patting his back. They both had huge grins on their faces. While that may sound rather ordinary, it was the feeling of the extent of love among two fellow Muslims that impacted me very strongly. I wanted to take a picture of them but upon hindsight, I think some moments are best left in one's heart and memory.
Here's to a brand new Hari Raya Aidilfitri, a day of victory and celebration in light of a completed month of spiritual cleansing. Maaf zahir dan batin to all my Muslim and non-Muslim friends alike.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home